Friday 12 December 2014

Episode 17 – Meeting Shobhaa De

                           


Hello! Yes, it’s been a really long time since my last blog entry. After all the exams and the eventful things I went through in the past few months, attending the Times Literature Festival last week was a revelation. Listening to what different writers, artists had to say about literature, art, music as well as life and its affiliated hassles, made me realize that opting to do something different takes immense courage.

My mission in attending the Lit Fest was to try and get Shobhaa De to sign my copy of her autobiography, “Selective Memory” Not only did I get her signature but an experience I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. After the seminar was over, I mustered the courage to walk right up to her (praying I wouldn't be tackled by any of the security guys) As Shobhaa De was walking off-stage, I went up to her and said, “Excuse me ma’am, could you please sign this?”

She looked at me with a radiant smile and said; “Of course dear” She was pleased that the book was an original version and not a pirated one. She asked for my name and then signed the book. Mission accomplished!


Two specific books by Shobhaa De are very dear to me. One is her autobiography and the other “Speedpost” Both of them explore the trials and tribulations of growing up, the hardships you face when you choose to do things a little differently.

So the whole point of the festival and meeting Shobhaa De is - you gotta do your own thing and never mind the naysayers.

As Mark Knopfler sings -

“And after all the violence and double talk 
There's just a song in the trouble and the strife 
You do the walk; you do the walk of life”


P.S - Looking for a good rock vocalist for my band.
Stay tuned, more things coming soon... till then...

Musically yours,
Yashashree

No comments:

Post a Comment