Sunday 5 April 2015

Episode 22 – Deap Vally


I occasionally visit second-hand book stores. The joy of finding a gem of a book or some magazines at half the price is thrilling. On one such trip to a local book store, I ended up buying an old issue of Rolling Stone Magazine. On my way home, as I flipped through the mag, I came across a brief article about Deap Vally, a Californian band that was blazing the Music Festival scene. So I made up my mind to find out more...

Lindsey Troy had been playing the local L.A circuit as a solo singer-guitarist-songwriter for several years until one fine day she decided to take a crochet class at “The Little Knittery” run by drummer Julie Edwards. Bonding over similar musical influences led to jams along with a bass player- Ashley Dzerigian. However, the bassist was too busy with sessions work and left the band. Despite this set back, “Deap Vally” a two-piece Rock duo consisting of Lindsey Troy (vocals, guitar) and Julie Edwards (drums, vocals) was formed in 2011.

The very first time I heard the band, I was bewildered! The roaring bluesy vocals, the Big Muff Fuzz-driven guitar and the dynamic drums contribute to a very LOUD sound. The lyrics are simple yet profound with themes like empowerment, feminism and self-confidence with an overall “I don’t give a damn” attitude! This is evident in their EP “Get Deap” and their hugely successful debut album “Sistrionix” which has got them headlining major festivals in USA, U.K, Finland, Germany, Estonia, Latvia, Mexico, Czech Republic, Canada, Japan and Australia. 

Currently Deap Vally is busy working on their follow-up album as well as touring with Marilyn Manson...And perhaps that is why Jimmy Page has such a big smile on his face – he knows the future of Rock N Roll is safe with this younger generation of rockers.






No comments:

Post a Comment