Tuesday 28 May 2013

Episode 6- Nothing Else Matters



Waiting for that One Big Break takes a toll. Every musician dreams of life changing record deals and making the kind of music he loves. The only glitch- business-minded, money-lusting label heads. (The big print giveth and the fine print taketh away.) I mean, the Beatles were lucky to have Brian Epstein and George Martin, Led Zep was fortunate to have had Peter Grant- guys who stood by the band like the Great Wall of China!

What we need in India is an entire infrastructure to search and promote musicians belonging to different genres. The whole problem arises when trying to form a band, a rock band. I was talking to a singer and telling her about the phenomenon called Robert Plant. She dismissed my words with- “You should listen to Bruno Mars. He is so awesome.” So this is what I mean. In order to play a genre you should know the artistes of that genre. Now-a-days people download a song or two of XYZ band and claim to know everything about that artist and his music. How many people buy an album, light a candle, turn off the lights and lose themselves in the music? People are multi-taskers- who has time to sit down and listen to music? If nothing goes in, nothing comes out.

The decision was made for me when I was 13 years old and watched GNR’s 1992 Tokyo Dome Concert on VH1. This is what I want to do- Music that is empowering. The hideous people I've met, the discouragement I've got- nothing is going to stop me.

Nothing Else Matters!


P.S- Harper Valley PTA is the wackiest song I've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment